Compensation for Construction Workers

Compensation for construction workers

Construction and building sites can be dangerous places to work, with the heavy machinery, tools and materials. The construction industry is one of the largest sources of workers' compensation claims in Australia. If you’ve been injured on the job as a construction worker, our team of specialist workers' compensation lawyers will help you get the maximum compensation available to you.

Construction Injury Compensation Claims

If you're injured on a construction site, you may be able to claim compensation. Workers' compensation for accidents and injury is awarded to cover lost earning, medical expenses and personal losses.

Common construction site accidents and injuries include:

  • Cuts, lacerations, bruises, amputations or crush injuries caused by equipment and power tools such as saws, nail guns and drills.
  • Electrocution or electric shock caused by faulty cords, machinery, switches or overhead power lines.
  • Minor to severe injuries including soft tissue injuries, fractures, spinal injuries and even fatality caused by falls from ladders, scaffolding or upper floors.
  • Injuries caused by falls, trips or slips. Tools, debris and materials can create hazards on a construction site and workers often have to navigate a site frequently carting tools, machinery and materials. 
  • Being hit by falling objects or being struck by a projectile from machinery can result in significant injuries.
  • Trucks, cranes, excavation and earthmoving equipment can cause severe injuries.
  • Continued exposure to the environment may result in sunburn, dehydration and heatstroke.
  • Exposure to machinery, equipment and power tool noise can lead to industrial deafness.
  • Exposure to chemicals on construction sites may result in burns, respiratory illness or poisoning.


I’ve been injured on a construction site. What should I do?

Whether you’re a builder, contractor or an employee – anyone working on a construction site who’s injured in an accident is likely to be entitled to claim workers' compensation.

Your employer will need to notify the insurer within 48 hours of the accident, and you’ll need a certificate of capacity from your doctor that provides medical evidence of your injury or illness. This certificate is your record of how your injury affects your ability to do construction work.

If you’re unsure what to do, it costs nothing to call one of Firths specialist workers' compensation lawyers and receive the expert advice that can make all the difference to how much compensation you receive.

Can I sue for negligence for a construction site injury?

A construction worker injured on the construction site may have rights to claim common law damages. A common law damages claim under the workers' compensation system is known as a work injury damages claim. A work injury damages claim is made when an injured worker sues their employer for damages due to negligence, to cover loss of past wages and loss of future earnings capacity.

In NSW, to be eligible to claim for work injury damages, the work injury must be a result of the negligence of the employer, and the injured worker must have an assessed whole person impairment (WPI) of at least 15%.

Firths specialise work injury damages claims, so call us now on 1800 631 888 for a free workers' compensation claim assessment. 

Superannuation & TPD Claims

If you received a more serious injury or illness from working in the construction industry and are now unable to work permanently, then in addition to a workers’ compensation claim you might be entitled to make a TPD claim as part of your superannuation.

Request Free Case Assessment

Where do I start?

Uncertain? Overwhelmed? We get it. Choose from an option below or call us on 1800 631 888 for a free consultation. Let’s take the first step together