Workplace Injury

Google patch
  • "Firths were definitely the best choice I could have made when dealing with my legal matter."
  • "Without a doubt the experts in what they do. I would never have got as far without them. Firths has changed my little family's future for the better"
  • "Top quality service. Always there for me when I had any questions. From the girl on the phone to the solicitor and barrister. Highly recommend."
  • "Absolutely every single person I had contact with at Firths were amazing. They helped me achieve the best outcome possible."
  • Recently the team at Firth’s secured for me a substantial settlement. For myself i was able to clear all my personal debt and purchase a 3 bedroom house.
  • I highly recommend Firths the Lawyers to any one of my work colleagues or personal friends.
  • Mr Firth exceeded all expectations for a brilliant result. I recommend Firths without hesitation and in the strongest possible terms. - Patrick
If you’ve been injured in an accident at work, you might be entitled to claim workers compensation benefits. Firths are leading compensation lawyers specialising in workers compensation claims and can help you recover everything you’re entitled to.
  1. 01. Report the injury to your employer

    Every employer, by law is required to have an injury book or accident register you can fill in. If your workplace doesn’t have one, you can provide your employer written details of your injury; this can be done in person, by email or by letter. Make sure you keep a copy of any written notice for your own records. It is very important that you notify your employer in writing within 30 days of becoming aware of the injury, or your claim may be potentially rejected.

  2. 02. Visit your doctor

    After suffering a work-related injury, the first step is to visit your doctor for treatment. Even if you think your injury is only minor, sometimes the true extent of an injury only becomes apparent over time, so it is very important to explain the circumstances and everything that happened to you. At this consultation the doctor will issue a "Certificate of Capacity". This certificate is important for submitting your workers’ compensation claim.

  3. 03. Complete and submit your claim form

    Complete the workers’ compensation claim form, attach your certificate of capacity to the form, and submit it to your employer. Be sure to also keep a copy of the completed form and certificate for your own records.

    Lodging a claim should happen within 6 months of your injury, but don’t be discouraged if you’ve missed this timeframe. It can be extended under certain circumstances.

Types of workplace compensation

There are three separate and distinct forms of workers compensation that may be available:

  1. Weekly compensation payments during any incapacity for work.
  2. Payment of reasonably necessary medical expenses by the insurance company, including travelling expenses to and from such treatment.
  3. Lump sum compensation for impairment to your person arising from those injuries, which needs to be determined by a suitably qualified doctor.

Who can claim?

Workers compensation is available to employees and sub-contractors who’ve been in an accident or sustained an injury at work, whether they’re at fault or not. Click on the links below for information on specific occupations:

The lodgement of any workers compensation claim should be made promptly as there are time limits that for such claims to be made. Accordingly it is vital that you report the injury promptly and lodge any claim for compensation as soon as possible. 

It is vital that you seek and obtain early legal advice from a IRO approved lawyer in respect of the lodgement of these documents. Failure to do so will inevitably lead to future difficulties.

What will it cost?

We are IRO approved lawyers and don’t charge you anything for our work, we are paid by the Independent Review Office (IRO). 

We don’t even ask you to pay for the expenses, we cover those too until we are reimbursed by IRO funding at the end. 

Accordingly you will not be out of pocket at any stage. 

How will it affect my employer?

Workers compensation insurance is compulsory in NSW. Your employer pays it so that if you are injured you are covered. The effect of any such claim is minimal on your employer and is no different in effect to you claiming on your own home or car insurance if your home is robbed or if your car is involved in an accident.

I would like to claim compensation but am reluctant to see lawyers

Claiming workers compensation can be stressful and worrying for some people. Not only do you have to cope with the physical pain from your injuries but people are usually placed under severe financial hardship by the inaction of insurers who do not pay compensation promptly or reliably. 

As specialist workers compensation lawyers, we protect your interests and prevent insurance companies from failing in their obligations to you. If you fail to obtain good legal advice from a specialist and IRO approved workers compensation lawyer you could put yourself at a significant disadvantage. After all the insurance company always use specialist compensation lawyers, why shouldn’t you.

Employer negligence

These days, common law claims against employers in negligence are very limited. That is because the Government has passed laws which say that no matter how guilty your employer was, you are only entitled to bring a negligence (Work Injury Damages) claim if you are assessed as having 15% or greater Whole Person Impairment (WPI)

Even if you qualify your work injury damages are restricted to past and future wage loss. But at least this gives you some means of recovering the difference between what you are receiving on workers compensation and what you would be earning if still working. 

However you are required to give up all your future Workers Compensation rights including the rights to medical expenses. So the decision to go ahead with a negligence (Work Injury Damages) claim is a difficult one that we would need to discuss with you in depth. 

The only way we can overcome this hurdle is if your injury was caused by the negligence of a third party other than your employer. 

This is one area where a specialist compensation firm like Firths can make a big difference. We have had people come to us whose solicitors have told them there is no more that can be done for them only to find out from us that they are eligible to claim substantial lump sum compensation from third parties.

Where do I start?

Uncertain? Overwhelmed? We get it. Choose from an option below or call us on 1800 631 888 for a free consultation. Let’s take the first step together