Will Disputes

Google patch
  • "Firths were definitely the best choice I could have made when dealing with my legal matter."
  • "Without a doubt the experts in what they do. I would never have got as far without them. Firths has changed my little family's future for the better"
  • "Top quality service. Always there for me when I had any questions. From the girl on the phone to the solicitor and barrister. Highly recommend."
  • "Absolutely every single person I had contact with at Firths were amazing. They helped me achieve the best outcome possible."
  • Recently the team at Firth’s secured for me a substantial settlement. For myself i was able to clear all my personal debt and purchase a 3 bedroom house.
  • I highly recommend Firths the Lawyers to any one of my work colleagues or personal friends.
  • Mr Firth exceeded all expectations for a brilliant result. I recommend Firths without hesitation and in the strongest possible terms. - Patrick
Firths can help. Whether you have you been treated unfairly or left out of a Will, or you are an Executor who is faced with defending a Will, our team of NSW Wills & Estates experts will be able to assist you.

Who can contest a will?

In NSW, “eligible persons” can contest a will and make what is called a family provision claim if they have been left with inadequate provision from a deceased Estate. Eligible persons include:

  • The wife or husband of the deceased;
  • A de facto spouse of the deceased;
  • A child of the deceased;
  • A former wife or husband of the deceased;
  • A person who was wholly or partly dependent upon the deceased at any particular time;
  • A grandchild of the deceased who was at that particular time or any other time a member of the household in which the deceased was a member;
  • A person with whom the deceased was living in a close personal relationship at the time of the deceased person’s death.

Grounds for contesting a will

If you believe that you have been inadequately provided for, and are an “eligible person”, you may be able to make a claim. Briefly, some of the matters to be considered by a Court are:

  1. Your financial position and need for provision;
  2. Your relationship with the deceased;
  3. The size of the Estate;
  4. Other persons eligible to make a claim.

How long do I have to contest a will?

Family provision claims must be commenced within 12 months of the date of death. Whilst the Court has discretion to grant an extension of time, it will only do so if there is “sufficient cause” for doing so.

Where do I start?

Uncertain? Overwhelmed? We get it. Choose from an option below or call us on 1800 631 888 for a free consultation. Let’s take the first step together