Compensation for Hospitality Workers

Compensation for hospitality workers

Hotel, motel, pub, café and restaurant workers are susceptible to a range of injuries from working with sharp blades, hot oils, grills, burners and environments prone to spills and slippery floors. Under the NSW workers' compensation scheme, anyone who’s injured working in hospitality industry, whether you’re a manager, bar staff, waiter, chef, kitchen hand or cleaner may be entitled to make a claim for compensation. If you’ve been injured in NSW while working in the hospitality industry, our team of specialist workers' compensation lawyers will help you get the maximum compensation available to you.

Hospitality Injury Compensation Claims

If you're injured while working in a hotel, motel, club, pub, restaurant or café you may be able to claim compensation. Workers' compensation for accidents and injury is awarded to cover lost earning, medical expenses and personal losses.

Common construction site accidents and injuries include:

  • Injuries to your back, knees, elbows, muscle tears or contusions caused by manual handling and repetitive work such as carrying cartons, making beds or carrying luggage.
  • Injuries caused by falls, trips or slips. It is not uncommon to find water or condensation in hospitality workplaces such as bars or kitchens.
  • Exposure to hazardous chemicals used in cleaning cooking equipment or beer lines may result in burns, respiratory illness or poisoning.
  • Burns, scalds and cuts caused by working with hot liquids, cooking equipment or sharp cooking utensils.
  • Wet areas and leaks are common in the hospitality industry, electrocution or electric shock may be caused by faulty/ incorrect power cords, circuit breakers or equipment failures.
  • Exposure carbon dioxide gas (CO2), which is commonly used in the hospitality industry for drink dispensing can cause significant respiratory injuries or death. 

I'm a hospitality employee and have been injured. What should I do?

Check your employer has notified their workers' compensation insurer and visit your GP to get a certificate of capacity. You’ll need this certificate as medical evidence of your injury or illness.

If you’re unsure what to do, it costs nothing to call one of Firths specialist workers' compensation lawyers and receive the expert advice that can make all the difference to how much compensation you receive.

What if I’m a casual hospitality employee?

It doesn't matter if you’re a casual employee, you may be entitled to workers compensation. In fact, if you’re working in the hospitality industry as a second job and your injury prevents you from doing both jobs, you may be able to help you claim compensation for lost wages from both your jobs.

Firths specialise in hospitality workers' compensation claims so call us now on 1800 631 888 for a free workers' compensation claim assessment.   

Request Free Case Assessment

Where do I start?

Uncertain? Overwhelmed? We get it. Choose from an option below or call us on 1800 631 888 for a free consultation. Let’s take the first step together