Motor Accident Injuries

Google patch
  • "Firths were definitely the best choice I could have made when dealing with my legal matter."
  • "Without a doubt the experts in what they do. I would never have got as far without them. Firths has changed my little family's future for the better"
  • "Top quality service. Always there for me when I had any questions. From the girl on the phone to the solicitor and barrister. Highly recommend."
  • "Absolutely every single person I had contact with at Firths were amazing. They helped me achieve the best outcome possible."
  • Recently the team at Firth’s secured for me a substantial settlement. For myself i was able to clear all my personal debt and purchase a 3 bedroom house.
  • I highly recommend Firths the Lawyers to any one of my work colleagues or personal friends.
  • Mr Firth exceeded all expectations for a brilliant result. I recommend Firths without hesitation and in the strongest possible terms. - Patrick
Have you been involved in a motor vehicle accident, a car accident, or a road accident in Brisbane or anywhere in Queensland? You may be entitled to claim compensation for your injuries. You will need those damages to cover the cost of rehabilitation, potential financial losses as they can add up quickly. Learn more about making a MAIC QLD CTP compensation claim and our no win no fee guarantee. If you have any questions about making a QLD CTP claim contact our specialised car accident lawyers who can assess your claim at no cost.
  1. 01. Report the QLD car accident to the Police

    You must report the accident to the police by attending you local police station. 

  2. 02. Take the at-fault parties vehicle registration (REGO) details

    If you're unable to get the at-fault parties details, it can make you claim more complex. If you don't have this information, you may have to make a claim against the Nominal Defendant.

    If you don’t know who the ‘at fault’ vehicle’s insurer is, contact the Motor Accident Insurance Commission on 1300 302 568.

  3. 03. Complete the MAIC CTP claim form

    Download the Notice of Accident Claim Form or Fatal Injury Claim Form and fill in all the sections. You will need to get your medical practitioner to complete the medical certificate part of the claim form and you should attach ay medical certificates, documents and receipts that relate to your medical treatment. 

    In order to complete the claim form you will need the following:​

    • Registration number (REGO) of at-fault party who caused the accident;
    • QLD Police accident report number;
    • Medical reports, certificates, receipts and accounts for your medical treatment
    • Firths team of experts can help you prepare prepare your CTP claim form and lodge it with the CTP Insurer. If you get this wrong, it may impact on the amount of compensation you can recover.
  4. 04. Lodge your MAIC claim form with the QLD CTP Insurer

    Your CTP compensation claim form can be lodged directly with the ‘at-fault’ vehicle’s CTP insurer. Make sure you do this as soon as possible as there are strict legal timeframes for lodging your claim.

    We recommend that you contact Firths before lodging your claim form, Firths provide a free MAIC claim assessment which will help you understand your legal rights and how much compensation you may be entitled to receive.

How long will my MAIC CTP car accident compensation claim take to settle?

Firths are QLD CTP experts and can help you access compensation sooner. However, the processes required by MAIC and the QLD CTP insurers can take several months to complete.

The timeframe can also depend on the complexity of your CTP claim, your injuries, and how willing the at-fault CTP insurer is to reach a settlement.

Who are the CTP Insurers in Queensland?

There are four QLD CTP insurers that are licensed by the Queensland Government agency, Motor Accident Insurance Commission (MAIC), to provide CTP Insurance for vehicle owners in QLD. Firths The Compensation Lawyers have successfully made compensation claims against these CTP insurers:

QLD CTP providers set their own premiums each quarter, within MAIC limits. Other insurers, even though they may offer types of motor vehicle insurance, are not allowed to provide CTP insurance in QLD.

At-Fault driver cover provides further cover for the driver at fault in an accident, for example, lump sum benefits for certain injuries or a lump sum for their death.

How do I check the name of the at-fault CTP insurer after a QLD car accident?

If you don’t know who the ‘at fault’ vehicle’s insurer is, contact the Motor Accident Insurance Commission or call Firths on 1800 008 880 and we can find out for you.


How much compensation will I receive for my QLD motor vehicle or car accident claim?

The amount of car accident compensation you can receive depends on the: 

  • The extent of your injuries;
  • The amount of out-of-pocket expenses you’ve had to cover;
  • How much income you’ve lost as a result of the accident;
  • The cost of ongoing care (such as rehabilitation).

Injuries affect everyone in different ways so compensation payouts for car accidents vary on a case-by-case basis. The more the injury or injuries impact upon your lifestyle and employment, the more compensation you will receive. It is not possible to state an exact amount compensation amount of compensation you will receive, it depends on what loss and damage is suffered because of the injury caused by the car accident in QLD.

Your age, occupation, recreational interests and general health also have an impact on the potential lump-sum pay-out you will receive.

What are the types of compensation can you receive for a QLD motor vehicle or car accident?

If you have a motor vehicle or car accident claim, you may be entitled to:

  • Compensation for pain and suffering and loss of your amenities of life;
  • Loss of past and future wages or business profits (including loss of superannuation payments);
  • Medical and rehabilitation expenses that you have incurred and are likely to incur in the future;
  • Past and future care costs;
  • Out of pocket expenses.

The Compulsory Third Party Insurer (CTP Insurer) has obligations under the QLD Motor Accident Insurance Act 1994, to meet your medical and rehabilitation needs during your motor accident claim, to ensure that you get the treatment and assistance you need for your injuries. The QLD CTP Insurer will fund such things as physiotherapy treatment, surgery, specialist treatment, hospitalisation costs, medication expenses, counselling, medical aids and devices, home and vehicle modifications as well as the provision of care and assistance where required.

If your injuries stop you from returning to work and you need financial assistance, Firths can request an advance payment on damages to help you while waiting for your QLD motor accident claim to finalise.

If your motor vehicle accident injury occurred on your way to or from work, during a work break, or during the course of your work, you are most likely entitled to claim workers' compensation benefits (or WorkCover Statutory Benefits), whilst you are recovering from your work related injuries.

Are there any time limits to make a MAIC CTP compensation claim?

Yes, There are strict time limits when you make a QLD CTP Claim:

Within three months if it is to be given to the Nominal Defendant because the motor vehicle cannot be identified; or in any other case whichever of the following dates is earlier:

  • within nine months after the motor vehicle crash or, if symptoms of the injury are not immediately apparent, the first appearance of symptoms of the injury;
  • if you have a solicitor such as Firths The Compensation Lawyers managing your claim, within one month of the first consultation with the solicitor.

Your claim could be rejected if you lodge outside the timeframes. Early lodgment of your claim with Firths The Compensation Lawyers will assist in early access to treatment and rehabilitation if required.

If you are under 18 years at the time of the crash, different timeframes apply. For children, timeframes to lodge a claim do not commence until the child turns 18.

Do I need to Go To Court for a motor vehicle or car accident CTP claim?

Firths typically settle most CTP claims before going to trial against the QLD CTP Insurers.

If your claim does proceed to court, you’ll only need to attend if your presence is deemed absolutely necessary to its outcome.

Don't forget Firths offer No Win No Fee terms for accepteted QLD CTP car accident claims.

How much does It cost to make a successful QLD CTP motor vehicle or car accident claim?

Every QLD motor vehicle CTP claim is different, so compensation payouts for car accidents will vary from claim to claim..

At Firths, if we think you have a claim worth fighting for, we'll give you an estimate of your legal fees, so you know right from the start how much our fees will be to fight for your Car Accident claim.

Can I make a motor vehicle or car accident CTP Claim?

It’s important to note that your entitlement to make a CTP claim will depend on the circumstances of the accident. If you are found to be at fault, your CTP claim may be rejected.

If you are on the list below and you've been injured under the Motor Accident Insurance Act 1994, you can make a motor vehicle or car accident compensation claim:

  • Car Drivers & their passengers
  • Cyclists
  • Motorbike riders and pillion passengers
  • Pedestrians
  • Trucks
  • Fork Lifts
  • Motor Scooters

In order to make a QLD motor vehicle accident CTP compensation claim, you must be able to able to demonstrate that:

  • You have sustained an injury and/or financial losses
  • The accident was not your fault (or not entirely your fault)

What about care and assistance for catastrophic QLD motor vehicle & car accident injuries?

If you're injured in a motor vehicle accident (after 1 July 2016) and suffer catastrophic injuries such as, spinal cord injuries, traumatic brain injury, severe burns, permanent blindness or multiple amputations, you will be entitled to lifetime care and assistance under the National Injury Insurance Scheme Queensland or NIISQ.

The scheme is not fault based, meaning that it does not matter whether the person who is suffering the catastrophic injury was responsible for the accident or not. They still have entitlement to claim for the following assistance in relation to their injuries:

  • Medical expenses;
  • Rehabilitation expenses;
  • Ambulance transportation;
  • Pharmaceuticals;
  • Prosthetics, aids and appliances;
  • Home and vehicle modifications;
  • Education and vocational training;
  • Dental;
  • Care, including respite, attendant and domestic.

Do I need a lawyer for a QLD motor vehicle or CTP car accident claim?

In order for your claim to be successful you will need to be able to prove that the at-fault CTP insurer’s driver is liable for your injuries which may require specific expert evidence. QLD CTP insurers have their own lawyers advising them of how to limit their liability and reduce the amount they have to pay out. 

Using Firths the experts in CTP compensation claims can make all the difference to how much compensation you may receive, Firths also provide:

  • Free legal advice and claim assessment – If you’re not sure whether to claim compensation, Firths provide an obligation-free consultation to discuss your legal options.
  • Improved odds & more in your pocket – When making a QLD CTP compensation claim, having the experts on your side can make all the difference to how much you end up with in your pocket. Firths deliver results.
  • We fund your case – Firths QLD CTP No Win No Fee facility means that you don't have to stress about legal expenses. Not only that, if you are not successful you don't have to pay us anything.

Where do I start?

Uncertain? Overwhelmed? We get it. Choose from an option below or call us on 1800 631 888 for a free consultation. Let’s take the first step together